Rob Garrett was the owner of Alamo Sport Shop. Originally from Maine, Garrett considered himself as the adventurous type, so he packed his bags and headed West. He'd always collected guns himself, so he had taken over the shop. At first he had been wary of dealing with the serious-issue low-lifes who came into the shop, but in the last few years he had learned to spot the dangerous ones and mostly avoided trouble.
On May 13, 1984, after the Terminator arrived at Alamo Sport Shop, Garrett thought this "guy" was not especially dangerous looking since its expression was slack, blank, except when he looked up at the rack of weapons behind the counter. Since the Terminator paused on each gun as if it could identify every one, Garrett attention was piqued as he thought the "guy" might be a fellow collector, who would spent lots of money on firearms.
Garrett provided it with several weapons, including the Armalite AR-18, .45 Long slide with laser sighting, Franchi SPAS-12 and Uzi 9mm. He was particularly impressed with the Terminator's knowledge of guns. However, after mentioning a 15-day wait for handguns and telling the Terminator not to load the SPAS-12, Garrett was killed by the machine.
- In the novelization of The Terminator, he provides the Terminator with different weapons:
- Franchi SPAS-12
- Armalite AR-180
- Desert Eagle .357 Magnum pistol
- Armalite AR-15
- Colt .45 Longslide with laser sighting
- Uzi 9mm semi-automatic
Behind the Scenes
- Rob Garrett, credited as Pawnshop clerk, was portrayed by the late Dick Miller.
- The Terminator film
- The Terminator: (Cocks Armalite AR-18 rifle)
- The Terminator: The 12 gauge auto-loader.
- Rob Garrett: That's Italian. It can go pump or auto.
- The Terminator: The .45 long slide, with laser sighting.
- Rob Garrett: These are brand new, we just got 'em in. That's a good gun. Just touch the trigger, the beam comes on, and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss. Anything else?
- The Terminator: Phased-plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
- Rob Garrett: Hey, just what you see, pal!
- The Terminator: The Uzi 9 millimeter.
- Rob Garrett: You know your weapons, buddy. Any one of these is ideal for home defense. So, which'll it be?
- The Terminator: All.
- Rob Garrett: Then we close early today. (takes out forms) There's a 15 day wait on the handguns, but the rifles you can take right now.
- The Terminator: (takes shotgun shells and loads SPAS-12)
- Rob Garrett: You can't do that.
- The Terminator: Wrong. (shoots clerk)
- — The Terminator