Operation Chrono was a battle in The War Against the Machines in 2029. It was during this battle that the Resistance, led by John Connor, won a decisive victory against the machines by smashing Skynet's defense grid at its central core in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. It was during this time Skynet decided that instead of terminating John Connor in the present, it could terminate him in the past, starting with killing his mother, Sarah Connor by sending a T-800 to 1984 do the job, and then a T-1000 to 1995 to kill a younger version of John in case the T-800 failed to complete its own mission. Once John found out about it, he too decided to send two of his own soldiers back through time: Kyle Reese to protect his mother, and a reprogrammed Series 800 Terminator to protect his younger self.
- The North American Resistance launch an all-out assault on Skynet's defense grid in Colorado.
- Skynet decides to terminate John Connor in the past.
- Skynet sent a T-800 Terminator back to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor.
- Skynet sent a T-1000 Terminator back to 1995 to kill John Connor.
- John Connor asked for a volunteer and sent Kyle Reese (age 27) back to 1984 to protect Sarah.
- John Connor ordered Snog to reprogram a T-800 and sent it back to 1995 to protect his younger self.
In the Genisys timeline, Skynet's defense Grid was smashed by the Colorado Unit and Skynet Core was destroyed, while John Connor was leading an attack with his unit on a work camp, which was in fact the facility housing Time Displacement Equipment. Both strikes were a success, but John's team discovered the T-800 did already gone through TDE to kill Sarah Connor. Hence, Kyle Reese volunteered to help her and John sent him to complete the mission. However, Alex, the T-5000 Terminator that housed Skynet, was able to infiltrate the Tech-Com unit and attacked John while Kyle was in the Time Displacement Equipment. The eventual Machine-Phase Matter mutation, which turned Connor into a T-3000 Terminator, caused changes to both the past and the future.
- The Terminator (Mentioned only)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Mentioned only)
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Victory Cameo)
- Terminator Genisys
- Dr. Silberman: So. You're a soldier. Fighting for whom?
- Kyle Reese: With the One Thirty Second under Perry, from '21 to '27.
- Dr. Silberman: That's the year 2027?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. Then I was assigned Recon/Security, last two years, under John Connor.
- Dr. Silberman: And who was the enemy again?
- Kyle Reese: A computer defense system built for...
- (Silberman's beeper goes off)
- Dr. Silberman: Damn! (turns beeper off) Sorry.
- Kyle Reese: Built for SAC-NORAD by Cyberdyne Systems.
- Dr. Silberman: I see. And this, uh, computer thinks it can win by, uh, killing the mother of its enemy, killing him in effect, before he's even conceived. Some sort of retroactive abortion? Why didn't the computer just kill John Connor then? I mean, why this obsession with the Terminator?
- Kyle Reese: It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Connor then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence.
- Dr. Silberman: Is that when you captured the lab complex and found the, uh, what's it called? The time-displacement equipment?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. The Terminator had already gone through. Connor sent me to intercept and they blew the whole place.
- Dr. Silberman: Well, how are you supposed to get back?
- Kyle Reese: I can't. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me.
- The Terminator