Mimetic polyalloy, also known as polymimetic alloy, is a type of liquid metal compound that is applied to advanced Terminator series such as the Series 1000 Terminator and its variants, as well as the Series 950 and Series X Terminators. The mimetic polyalloy, as its name suggests, allows a Terminator to change into any shape or form that it touches, provided that the object is of similar mass. The polyalloy can not function unless it is programmed with specific instructions or controlled via a CPU. Since the mimetic polyalloy is made of liquid metal instead of solid metal, it is less durable than other solid metals, such as a T-800 endoskeleton, though it can reform and heal itself if it suffers any combat damage.
In T2 Trilogy timeline, Clea Bennet, an I-950 Infiltrator, began the development of the material under the name Intellimetal to ingratiate herself with the executives of Cyberdyne Systems. The raw prototype material was highly carcinogenic.
The polyalloy could disguise the machine into any human it has physically contacted, allowing almost perfect impersonation which only another machine could detect. In addition, this type of liquid metal could function as a tracking device. It is also capable of reactivating a de-activated T-800 unit. In addition, it can allow the Terminator to simply reform and heal itself whenever its body structure is physically damaged, effectively making the liquid metal immune to any physical damage.
The mimetic polyalloy can be destroyed by the following factors:
- Extreme temperatures
Excessive temperatures in excess of 1535 degrees Celsius, such as those required to smelt iron, could permanently alter the bonding processes of the mimetic polyalloy. The molten iron (or any other element) could then mix with the elements of the alloy and physically alter its molecular structure, thus rendering it inoperative. High temperatures added with collision damage, such as a crashing helicopter, can also destroy the mimetic polyalloy.Extreme friction could also generate enough heat to permanently damage and destroy mimetic polyalloy from Dark Fate timeline as the Rev-9’s liquid metal sheath was heavily damaged and cooked by friction from a spinning turbine and the heat from the resulting explosion from the same turbine.
The liquid mimetic polyalloy can be destroyed by a plasma weapon.
The mimetic polyalloy can be impeded in a period by the following factors:
- The T-1000 is exposed to liquid nitrogen, which freezes its morphing processes long enough for the T-800 to shatter it with a single gunshot. The effect is only temporary; the heat from a nearby crucible is enough to thaw the scattered fragments and the T-1000 is able to reform itself. However, the unit also begins exhibiting a glitch caused by the freezing-and-shattering process; it begins to randomly sample nearby objects (a safety railing, a diamond-plated surface). Later, when it imitates Sarah Connor to attract her son, John is able to identify it when it involuntarily imitates the surface it's standing on.
- The T-1001 is placed in a box under a low temperature.
- Magnetic Fields
John Connor is able to temporarily incapacitate a T-X by charging up a particle accelerator and triggering an extremely intense magnetic field. The mimetic polyalloy is pulled off her metallic endoskeleton by the magnetic field, until she is able to use an implanted saw to disable the field.
Despite its plasticity, the polyalloy seems to perform much worse than normal whenever its shape is severely disrupted. For example, when the T-1000 is in the shape of a puddle or an amorphous blob, it takes time to morph back into a human before doing anything else. In addition, when it took a shot from grenade launcher and explode, the blast deforms it so much that for a moment it becomes completely helpless, loses even the basic ability to balance its own weight, and screeches as if in pain or shock.
Known Terminators with mimetic polyalloyEdit
- Main article: T-800
The T-800, while not composed of mimetic polyalloy itself, has displayed that it is capable of interfacing with and controlling the liquid metal to an extent provided that it has not been previously programmed. A single drop of the polyalloy can reboot an incapacitated T-800 unit. In addition, a T-800 unit can also utilize the polyalloy as its replacement parts. A T-800 that interfaced with polyalloy gained shapeshifting abilities similar to a T-1000, though the full extent of these abilities are unknown. Being thrown into a vat of polyalloy was enough to reactivate the T-800 which was terminated as it fell into the vat and completely repair the damage it sustained to both its metal endoskeleton and its living tissue sheath. Another T-800 that was reactivated with a single drop of polyalloy gained none of these abilities nor did any of the damage it sustained repair itself.
- Main article: T-950
As the arms of T-950 are interchangeable to form various weapons, some units are covered with mimetic polyalloy instead of living tissue to avoid laceration when switching weapons.
- Main article: T-1000
The T-1000 Terminator is not issued with any weapons, but was capable of fashioning any solid metal form, such as knives, javelins, and stabbing weapons. The T-1000 could not, however, form any complex systems which may have had moving parts or chemicals, like guns or explosives.
The mimetic polyalloy construction of the T-1000 allowed it to replicate any object or person of similar volume as camouflage that it molecular sampled by physical contact.
The T-1000 is able to use a small part of its body as a tracking device. The T-1001 and T-XA are able to separate part from the body as independent units. In addition, a T-XA is able use part of its body to control human.
- Main article: T-X
T-X Terminator utilizes mimetic polyalloy, which is covered over its endoskeleton as the outer sheath, thus, it is able to impersonate a person that it touches. The mimetic polyalloy not only aids in infiltration, but also adds strength to the overall armor of the T-X. Like the T-1000, the T-X's supply of polyalloy can partially absorb the shock of gunfire.
- Main article: Rev-9
The Rev-9 also features a carbon-based mimetic polyalloy sheath over an endoskeleton, similar to a T-X, although the Rev-9 outersheath is capable of separating from the endoskeleton as an independent unit. This feature is also used by its infantry counterpart, the Rev-7.
- In the novelization of Terminator 2: Judgment Day and the text commentary from Terminator 2: Judgment Day DVD Extreme Edition, it is explained the T-1000 is wrapped in a coccon made of living tissue that will allow an inorganic such as the T-1000, which is completely made of mimetic polyalloy, to travel via Time Displacement Equipment.
- However, this would contradict the events shown at the end of "Born to Run".
- Van Ling, creative supervisor of Terminator 2: Judgment Day suggests that in addition to the living tissue cocoon, another theory is that T-1000 could mimic the field generated by a living organism, or Kyle Reese really does not know much technology stuff. However, prior to being sent back in time to 1984, Kyle only knew about the Terminators prior to the Series 1000 Terminators.
- The novelization of Terminator 2: Judgment Day also explains that in the T-1000's case, it features a molecular, liquid brain that can think.
- In Terminator 3: Fragmented, the bullet hits on a T-950 often seems to have the liquid metal impact effect on the body in some pages. It is possible merely an error or effect from author's intention.
- In Terminator Genisys, it is assumed that mimetic polyalloy is immune to laser weaponry.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Terminator Genisys
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- ↑ Terminator 3: Eyes of the Rise
- ↑ Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Cybernetic Dawn
- ↑ Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles episode "Today Is The Day, Part 2"
- ↑ Per a quote from Gabriel Luna, "You got an endoskeleton that's carbon-based and liquid that's a carbon substance alloy. And of course it can split, and it can descend on a target from multiple angles which just makes it that much more dangerous."
Terminator: Dark Fate - Gabriel Luna on Becoming the Rev 9 - Den of Geek
| Infiltration Outer Sheath|