During the Future War in most of the timelines, the Resistance launched the Final Offensive against Skynet in 2029. It was during this battle that the Resistance, led by John Connor, won a decisive victory against the machines by smashing Skynet's defense grid at its Skynet Central Core in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. It was during this time Skynet decided that instead of terminating John Connor in the present, it could terminate him in the past, starting with killing his mother, Sarah Connor by sending a T-800 to 1984 and then a T-1000 to 1995 to kill a younger John Connor in case the T-800 failed to complete its own mission. Once John found out about it, he too decided to send two of his own soldiers back through time: Kyle Reese to protect his mother, and a reprogrammed T-800 Terminator to protect his younger self.
In some of the timelines, the Final Battle between the Resistance and Skynet was the Colorado Offensive as Skynet Central Core and Time Displacement Equipment were both in Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado; while in other timelines, the Final Battle was the California Offensive as both Skynet Central Core and TDE were located in Los Angeles in California. Additionally, there were yet other timelines that both offensives took place at the same time as the Skynet Central Core was located in Cheyenne Mountain while TDE in Los Angeles.
T2 Trilogy timelineEdit
- Main article: Operation Chrono
In the Genisys timeline, Skynet's defense Grid was smashed by the Colorado Unit and Skynet Core was destroyed, while John Connor was leading an attack with his unit on a work camp, which was in fact the facility housing Time Displacement Equipment. Both strikes were a success, but John's team discovered the T-800 did already gone through TDE to kill Sarah Connor. Hence, Kyle Reese volunteered to help her and John sent him to complete the mission. However, Alex, the T-5000 Terminator that housed Skynet from an alternate timeline, was able to infiltrate the Tech-Com unit and attacked John while Kyle was in the Time Displacement Equipment. The eventual Machine-Phase Matter mutation, which turned Connor into a T-3000 Terminator, caused changes to both the past and the future.
- In most of the timelines, Hunter-Killers automatically shut down after Skynet Central Core was destroyed or Skynet mainframe was switched off. However in some timelines, there were still independent Hunter-Killers functioning.
- The Terminator (Mentioned only)
- Terminator: All My Future's Past
- Terminator: The Burning Earth (In Thunder Mountain during 2041)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day and novelization
- T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Nuclear Twilight
- Terminator 2: The New John Connor Chronicles
- T2: The Future War (Operation Chrono)
- The Terminator: 2029
- The Terminator: Dawn of Fate (Set in 2027)
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Victory Cameo)
- Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle
- Terminator Genisys
- Terminator: Resistance
- Dr. Silberman: So. You're a soldier. Fighting for whom?
- Kyle Reese: With the One Thirty Second under Perry, from '21 to '27.
- Dr. Silberman: That's the year 2027?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. Then I was assigned Recon/Security, last two years, under John Connor.
- Dr. Silberman: And who was the enemy again?
- Kyle Reese: A computer defense system built for...
- (Silberman's beeper goes off)
- Dr. Silberman: Damn! (turns beeper off) Sorry.
- Kyle Reese: Built for SAC-NORAD by Cyberdyne Systems.
- Dr. Silberman: I see. And this, uh, computer thinks it can win by, uh, killing the mother of its enemy, killing him in effect, before he's even conceived. Some sort of retroactive abortion? Why didn't the computer just kill John Connor then? I mean, why this obsession with the Terminator?
- Kyle Reese: It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Connor then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence.
- Dr. Silberman: Is that when you captured the lab complex and found the, uh, what's it called? The time-displacement equipment?
- Kyle Reese: That's right. The Terminator had already gone through. Connor sent me to intercept and they blew the whole place.
- Dr. Silberman: Well, how are you supposed to get back?
- Kyle Reese: I can't. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me.
- The Terminator