Skynet's most popular endoskeletal cyborg was its Series 800 Terminator, which used a metallic endoskeleton covered with living tissue. The Series 800 Terminator was a breakthrough in developing Terminators that were similar to humans.
Originally, Terminators were purely robotic and weren't covered with living tissue. Starting with the T-600, Skynet tried to cover the titanium alloy endoskeleton with rubber, which looked fake and was easy to spot. Skynet discovered a method that allowed it to grow living tissue over the endoskeleton, making the new Terminators almost impossible to spot.
Later and more-advanced endoskeletons were manufactured with an alloy containing half a percentage of coltan. Skynet also found out it was extremely difficult to send pure metal back in time by using Time Displacement Equipment, but was able to overcome this by covering the Terminators with living tissue or using mimetic polyalloy.
Skynet combined an endoskeleton with a mimetic polyalloy outer sheath in the T-X Terminator. Its advanced endoskeleton allowed the T-X to be fitted with onboard weapons systems — the first Infiltrator class to house advanced weaponry — each located within a reconfigurable arm, underneath the mimetic polyalloy outer sheath. Within its vast internal arsenal, the T-X possessed many different weapons and tools for different missions.
In Dark Fate timeline, instead of hyperalloy, Legion used a carbon-based endoskeleton for Rev-9 Model Terminator, which is covered with carbon-based mimetic polyalloy. Due to this lighter material, the endoskeleton weighed less than a T-800, and was capable of enhanced acrobatics, speed and agility. However, while it was still remarkably durable, this carbon-endoskeleton was less durable and less capable of resisting kinetic force compared to a T-800's titanium or hyperalloy endoskeleton.
It is unknown if other Terminator Models made by Legion are also carbon-based materials.
Known Endoskeleton Series
The Terminator Collectible Card Game
Rise of the Machines timeline
The Sarah Connor Chronicles timeline
Dark Fate timeline
- The opposite of an endoskeleton is called an "exoskeleton", an external skeleton built on the outside to protect the body. Any armor is also considered an exoskeleton, like full-body armor or the likes of natural armor used by several arthropods, such as insects and spiders.
- Endoskeleton is one of Dark Fate Terminator's Support Kards from Mortal Kombat Mobile.
- The Terminator: Dawn of Fate
- Terminator Genisys: Revolution
- "Coltan alloys have a much higher melting point." as Cameron told John Connor.
- "The Good Wound"
- Per a quote from Gabriel Luna, "You got an endoskeleton that's carbon-based and liquid that's a carbon substance alloy. And of course it can split, and it can descend on a target from multiple angles which just makes it that much more dangerous."
Terminator: Dark Fate - Gabriel Luna on Becoming the Rev 9 - Den of Geek