In addition, Christian is best known for his portrayal of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho and Bruce Wayne (Batman) in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. He has received critical acclaim for his performance in The Fighter, earning him several awards including the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture and a win for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Filmography in Terminator franchiseEdit
- Bale has been praised by comic book fans for bringing the dark, aggressive side of Batman back to the character; an attribute that was seemingly lost in the past movie and TV translations.
- Bale is one of the few former child actors to make a successful transition to mainstream acting.
- Bale was originally approached for the role of Marcus Wright, but he was more interested in John Connor instead.
- ↑ Article "John Connor Was Originally A Terminator 4 Supporting Character" from gizmodo.com
Can you talk about why you wanted to do John Connor rather than Marcus when they offered you this movie?
[Christian Bale:] I can't really remember why, why the difference between those two characters in that choice. I'd read it in a few places that people said that I was unhappy with the original script. And I wasn't the only one. Everybody was saying that there needed to be changes made to it. Connor was a character who appeared very, very briefly in the original [Salvation script]. Which I was happy to do, if the story could become something worthy of reviving this mythology. However, we had a few writers, because of the whole situation with the writer's strike, and coming off of that. But we were very lucky for the short time that he was able to work on it, that my friend, Jonah Nolan, came in.
And Jonah said to me, "Christian, do you want me to write this with the same involvement that Connor has in the original one, or do you want me to increase you?" And I said, "I don't mind what you do, just whatever the best story is. And I don't want to work for one week." Which was originally all I was meant to do, "on a movie that has no chance." So I said, "just do whatever it is you need to do, whatever makes the best story, bring it to me after, and we'll work it out." I think it was true, he couldn't find a way that made sense and that also gave a connection to the previous movies, without having Connor involved more than was in that original [screenplay].
- on the Internet Movie Database