Barnes was a loose cannon who acted without thinking at times. Barnes was very close to John Connor and served in Connor's chain of command.
Barnes was an ex-football player, who was deeply religious and believed that Judgment Day was the beginning of the final war on Earth with Skynet as the Antichrist. He grew up in a low-income area in Los Angeles and was a constant target of gangs. It is these childhood experiences that explain Barnes' contempt for local gangs of human survivors who choose to raid and attack other humans rather than join the Resistance and fight in the war against Skynet.
Following an attack on the Skynet VLA, Barnes learned that Jericho, his brother, was killed following the accidental tripping of a booby trap. He frequently worked alongside John Connor in mission planning and even disregarded a direct order from Genaral Hugh Ashdown to remove Connor from command after Connor deemed the attack on Skynet Central to be too risky.
Barnes had also accompanied John in testing the deactivation signal in the field. Under the cover of darkness, the two managed to lure and successfully deactivate an HK-Aerial before destroying it.
He was present with Kate Connor when it was discovered that Marcus Wright was a Hybrid and regarded as a Terminator by the Resistance, and quickly knocked him unconscious. Barnes would serve as the first watchman of Wright and discussed his views on God and how Wright and Skynet were the devil. During this, he used the "machine" as target practice until being tricked by Blair Williams to leave her alone with him. Upon finding the truth, Barnes returned to the silo and fired on both Wright and Blair claiming that she had made her choice.
After the destruction of USS Wilmington, Resistance Headquarters by the machines, Barnes went with Kate Connor on her mission to rescue John and the other captives from Skynet Central, eventually witnessing John being rescued by Marcus following the death of the T-RIP. Realizing now that Marcus is not the enemy as he thought him to be, Barnes helped Marcus in carrying John to the helicopter for evacuation.
- Barnes enjoys music and one of his proudest possessions was a boombox that had survived Judgment Day.
- In novelization, he would use his boombox alongside John Connor to capture and reprogram a Moto-Terminator.
Behind the Scenes
- Barnes is portrayed by the rapper Common.
- Early reports suggested that Common would be playing Danny Dyson, but were soon corrected to be false.
- Video game
- Terminator Salvation
- Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle
- The Final Battle issue 02 (Flashback)
- The Final Battle issue 03 (Alleged, name not referred)
- Terminator Salvation: The Game - The Terminator Files
- The scene is featured in Terminator Salvation novel.